Skidoo or Ski-don't

Skidoo or Ski-don't...that is the real question here.

Since the new year, I have had many new experiences by Skidoo (aka snowmobile). Skidoo's are one of the most fun machines ever created. I have not ever driven one, so my experiences are from the passenger seat, or more accurately the backseat.

A few weekends ago, a friend and I decided to try going hunting for ptarmigan at his usual spot about 30 minutes outside the community. First came the loading of the Skidoo onto the trailer then hitching the trailer to the car, no big deal. Once we arrived at our spot we parked the car, prepared our gear and the dogs and set off in the snow. It is important to note that we had just received a few FEET of fresh fluffy snow. The trail was completely covered by snow so we were on our own.

Let's just say it is not the brightest idea to go Skidooing in fresh, deep powder with two humans, two large dogs and cargo... We kept sinking in the snow, leaning to the left or leaning to the right and then we got stuck. TWICE. Keep in mind that it was -18C (0F) outside at the time. When I say stuck I mean the Skidoo was angled deep in the snow and the engine stalled out multiple times. I try to work out 5 times a week and I think I worked out enough for a week that day while shoveling that Skidoo out... TWICE! 


Lucky enough, we were not very far from the car, maybe a kilometer or so. In an emergency we definitely would have had no problem walking or snowshoeing back to the car and drive home, but our goal was to free the machine and go home. We were successful after a lot of work and a lot of sweat. The dogs dug themselves little nests in the snow to stay warm while they patiently waited to continue our journey. It is safe to say that no hunting was done that afternoon.

That was enough adventure for weeks! I haven't been on a skidoo since.... but I will find another moment to ride safely in snow that is maybe not so deep and closer to home.


The days that came after the Skidoo adventure came a long extreme cold stretch, and by extreme cold I mean the temperature with windchill was dipping below -50C! I don't even want to think about what -50C is in Fahrenheit...

Don't worry though, schools were all still open! I am not sure if it is possible to have a snow day or cold day in Mistissini!


The more snow we get, the more gorgeous the trails become. I ran out of school at 4pm sharp this week to go snowshoeing on our beautiful trail and take advantage of the snowy weather. I like to think that when it's snowing that means it can't possibly be that cold! Sure enough the weather was a perfect -17C (0F) and sunny.


I am proud to say that I still love winter and this community continues to grow on me with every season. In the Cree School Board, we are required to submit our intentions for the next school year by February 1st, that's early! I am happy to say that I am in the North for the long run and I intend to stay in this snowy, cold community for many years to come :)

Thanks for sticking with me!

~Vicki

Comments

  1. I'm sure your friend will be happy for you to stay up north ;) plus, hopefully more opportunities for me to visit :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Annie Whiskeychan Day

A Super Update on 2020

Pre-Winter Update