Frosty Start to the New Year

As the temperature drops and I travel back north, I realize just how comfortable my wool socks and Roots sweatshirt are.

I was welcomed home this weekend to a 22 hour power outage, meaning 22 hours without electricity, heat, hot water, NOTHING for 22 hours! All of this happened while it was a brisk -15 C (5F) outside. As the temperature dropped in the apartment, I scrounged up as many blankets as I could and as many dogs as I could to keep my bed warm. Just kidding about the dogs but I am lucky to have Lily to keep my feet warm this winter!

The quickest decision when I woke up in the morning was to leave the community and venture to Chibougamau to eat a hot breakfast and stock up on non-perishable food in case the outage lasted longer than the day. Luckily, the power came back just as I pulled back into the community, around 3pm.


I made a very smart purchase today, buying myself a pair of Bilodeau winter boots, these are both the warmest and most ridiculous-looking boots in all of the North and maybe the entire world. 
I kid you not, I may be mistaken for Chewbacca when I'm out on the skidoo this winter! But hey, at least my feet will be warm and fuzzy. 

The winter break was an amazing two weeks spent with family, friends and dogs. Most importantly I ate half of my weight in food, who could ask for more?! My parents like to make sausage and sauerkraut on New Year's Day because it is considered to bring good luck. My second favorite past-time from the holidays was making banana bread with my Nana, she graciously allowed me to take a peek into her near-perfect recipe binder and try my hand at making her Nana-approved banana bread. Needless to say it is as delicious as it sounds!

I always enjoy the ferry ride from New London, CT to Orient Point, NY to visit her, it gives me a nice break from driving as well as some beautiful views on the water.


My first skidoo ride back in the north took approximately 5.5 minutes to literally go around the corner on the lake to visit a couple of friends who were ice fishing nearby. The open part of the lake is covered by a thick layer of ice then a thick layer of snow so it has been approved by the Public Safety team in the community for skidoos as well as people to pass on the lake. The area we went to was very slushy because before getting 20-25cm of snow there was a day of rain before the holidays, so the rain iced and became slush under the snow. No matter, the lake was safe to be on, and it was very interesting to see how the ice fishing works! 


Since the power outage affected the entire community, there has been no word on if the pipes were affected in the schools or not. I am guessing that we have the green light to go back to school tomorrow, even though a little part of me could use another day to sleep in...

My goal until Goose Break (the first two weeks of May) is to take advantage of the winter activities offered in and outside the community. Firstly, I look forward to taking longer rides on the skidoo with Lily chasing behind, as well as skiing for the first time this season and discovering new snowshoe paths in the woods. 

As I enjoy my winter (fingers crossed it doesn't get below -40!) I wish everyone a Happy New Year and I thank you from the bottom of heart for joining me on my journey Au Nord Du Quebec.

~Vicki




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Annie Whiskeychan Day

A Super Update on 2020

Pre-Winter Update