A Cold, Cold Winter

Before coming to Mistissini I didn't really know what cold was. In Boston, it never gets below 0F (-18C), but I don't think it has gotten above 0F in the past month here!

This week has been one of the coldest weeks so far and it's only Monday! This morning it was -35C (-31F) it was so cold that it hurt to breathe. If you're outside for more than 10 minutes your face gets numb and your fingertips start to freeze. It is really crazy to think that I chose to live in a place this cold!!

Here is the forecast for the next week (Note: All of the temperatures are in Celsius but you can covert them here) BRRRRR!


Other than the cold which will continue through the end of March...the sun has been rising earlier and setting later which means that I am not going home from school at 4pm in the dark! Sometimes it is the little things that brighten my day. Today it was light outside until almost 5pm, that is so exciting considering it was getting dark at 3:45pm only 2 months ago.

This is an amazing capture of the sunset over the track and field outside the school.

Not only has it been getting colder, but there has also been more and more snow. Here are some views from the community to show you how much we have and how beautiful it is up here.

On another exciting note, today (Feb. 5th) was the 100th day of school! That means that the school year is more than half over. Time has gone by so quickly and I have learned so much in these past 5 months of Grade 1. Patience is key with the little ones and it's important to remember to have fun! 

I wanted to make today as fun as possible so I went to the grocery store in town and bought 10 different snacks and candies for my kids. I had them count 10 of each to make 100! Here is an example of what I had them do.

That's all for now but check back next weekend for more!

~Vicki

Comments

  1. HI Vicky. I am almost a year behind in comments. I'm so glad you are so happy.Your blog is interesting and fun to read. It also shows your passion for teaching, and life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Annie Whiskeychan Day

A Super Update on 2020

Pre-Winter Update