Montreal and 70 degree weather

I was lucky enough to attend the "Achieving Excellence for Indigenous Canadian Learners" Conference in Montreal this past week. The conference lasted from Wednesday to Thursday and was excellent. It is so important for us to realize how we are putting our indigenous youth at risk by believing they are at a disadvantage. In many situations, the best way to up the success of students is the response to intervention and put a system in place to simultaneously catch students up while teaching them grade-level material. It is a challenging feat, but with support, good teaching and early intervention more students can be successful. The conference featured many keynote speakers and breakout sessions dealing with various aspects of teaching and learning. I found it very interesting the idea that a toxic school environment and staff/admin relationship can sink a school very quickly. The students are the most important part of a school, but too often decisions are made based on what the staff and admin want or need.

Since the conference was in Montreal, a 9hr drive south, we were given two days on either end of the conference to travel to the city. This means that my week was only one day last week! It was amazing being back in the city, and being able to walk around without recognizing everyone. All of the teachers stayed in a hotel downtown near the Place-Des-Arts metro station, I was on the 22nd floor and this was my view.

I was able to see one of my best friends from Bishop's while I was in the West Island and I look forward to going back in December. Other than attending the conference, my fellow teachers and I enjoyed Chinatown, shopping and fancy drinks at a restaurant called "Moose Bawr", which made us feel at home with all the flannel and jeans.

After the conference finished on Thursday, I made the split decision to drive home to Boston. I knew I was giving myself another 6 hours each way, but it was more than worth it to see my parents, my dogs and the beautiful fall foliage of New England. The majority of the trees in the North are evergreens, so we get bright yellows and brown but not the reds and oranges of maples. The giant maple tree in the front yard of my house hadn't even changed color yet. I treated myself to a trip to Target and was able to meet a friend in the city for dinner, but it was a quick trip and I left Saturday to go back north to Montreal.
I knew that my puppy in Mistissini was missing me, because she acted out all week! My neighbor was nice enough to watch her, but I think she was relieved when I came home Sunday evening. I know that I was very happy to be back in my own bed and prepare for the next week of school. The weather was VERY warm, high of 69 today! This is extremely un-seasonal, especially after it snowed 2 inches a week ago. The picture below is my view from the Grade 1 school yard. You can see the post office and the lake in the background. 


Report cards are due at the end of the week and my students are preparing for Halloween next week so we are busy bees at school.

Wish me luck and thanks for catching up!

~Vicki

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Annie Whiskeychan Day

A Super Update on 2020

Pre-Winter Update