Mistissini Skies

Another week gone by and we are one short week away from Canadian Thanksgiving (Columbus Day for you Americans). In Canada we celebrate Thanksgiving in a very similar way as in the US, but the holiday is on the Monday, so celebrations are typically Sunday dinners.

This time of year is the best time to hunt moose, so many students in all grades are absent from school to go in the bush with their parents to hunt and trap. I only have 10 students in my class and 2 of them were in the bush this week! Although I only had 8 students, it was still an active and busy week. Friday was Declaration Day for the Cree School Board, meaning that the school gets a certain amount of funding based on how many students are present that day. Since we want to encourage students to be present for the day, we organized activities and snacks throughout the day. Each class got hot dogs and rice crispy treats just before lunch!

Once the weekend started, I knew I wanted to take advantage of the fall weather. Saturday was a cool 45 F/8C but very sunny. A few friends and I walked along the four wheeler path that runs all the way down the access road to rt167 to Chibougamau. The road itself is 16km/10miles long, but we walked about 2 miles along to a small bridge on the side of the road. The view was breathtaking.
That evening I saw the most amazing sunset since moving to Mistissini. The sky looked like it was on fire and everyone was outside looking up. Here are some pictures of the views from my apartment and from across the bridge.
This next one is of my friend who stood on my car just to get an amazing picture!
The view across the bridge was taken about 15 minutes after the first picture so the sky wasn't as red, but more yellow.

I wish I could take a picture of the sky every night to share, but unfortunately it had been cloudy every night until that night. 

I will continue to capture as many beautiful moments as I can, but hopefully I will be too busy enjoying the moment to take a picture!

Thanks for catching up with me!

~Vicki

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Annie Whiskeychan Day

A Super Update on 2020

Pre-Winter Update