A Spring/Summer/Fall Update

Hello Everyone,

I want to thank you for your patience and your support on my journey Au Nord Du Quebec. The end of 2018-2019 was very eventful, hence why there have been no posts since my chilly January...

I passed a wonderful end of winter in the north, enjoying the snow, the sun and the woods. Snowshoeing was a weekly activity for us, both humans and canines alike.

May came and went with Goose Break, taking a much needed break in Montreal and making a short trip home to Boston to visit friends and family. Once back in Mistissini in June, the lake thawed, the weather got slowly warmer and I was able to enjoy my days without a jacket!

I have to say the highlight of the spring was my new beautiful fur baby: Bermuda.
This beautiful four-month-old beauty came into my life thanks to my dog-rescue friend here in the community. Bermuda had followed her around for a week straight and finally came into her house. I went over to visit, as I always do when there are new puppies. I knew instantly that I had to take this pup home with me. Two young dogs is crazy! I thought to myself that there was no way I would keep her, but I would enjoy my time fostering her. 24 hours later I was more in love than I have ever been with an animal in my life (sorry Lily, I still love you!). Bermuda had stolen my heart. I called my Mom and bawled to her that I HAD to keep this lovely girl. 

Four months later, she is still as beautiful as ever, she is in love with Lily and I am a very happy dog mom of 2. Let's just say that Lily puts up with Bermuda. She is the big sister who never asked for a little sister! Every now and then I catch them cuddling on the couch or the carpet and it warms my heart. I know that I am giving these two a wonderful life in the north. 
Moving into the summer, I spent a good week and a half in the hot and sweaty south I call Texas. I spent some quality time with family eating BBQ, sweating my butt off and binge-watching Criminal Minds.
One of my very close friends from Bishop's University came to Montreal to spend her summer vacation with me! We had a wonderful time travelling, eating and dancing our way through Montreal. I think that she loved Bermuda so much she wanted to take her home to Germany with her!

A highlight from our trip was climbing Mont-Royal while dripping with sweat. Once at the top my friend played some beautiful music at the piano in the middle of the park. Post-hike we enjoyed some much-needed classic Montreal poutine at Frites Alors. I highly recommend the smoked meat poutine!

We left Montreal a week later to pick up my crazies at their kennel in Lac Brome, Quebec which is a beautiful small village in the Eastern Townships. I highly recommend! Sandra took amazing care of my lovely girls and they came home very happy. The best part is that the kennel is located right next to an Alpaca Farm!

We had a few miscommunications pertaining to lodging in Quebec City, but thanks to one of my amazing friends and colleague from Mistissini we were able to enjoy a night sleeping in their RV in Stoneham (30 minute drive north of QC). I was very happy to sleep in the RV and to not be sweating like crazy! My friend did not enjoy the camping life so much though...

Luckily we were still able to spend two full days in the heart of Quebec City where we enjoyed breathtaking views at the Chutes de Montmorency and Vieux Quebec. 

Before I forget to mention, we also spent a few nights in Sherbrooke and were able to enjoy Bishop's University's campus once again. It had been almost 8 years since we had met on the campus right behind Dewies dining hall. Here is one of my favorite pictures of us posing in our old residence building Mackinnon in front of the most beautiful purple wall. 

We also could not miss an opportunity to have a photo shoot with the dogs at the famous gazebo that is right in front of the newly renovated library. I have to say that Bishop's is definitely worth a visit, even just to walk around campus and around Lennoxville. For us it was like coming home. The smells were the same and we got so emotional that even a few tears were shed.
I also swear that Bermuda is not as scared as she looks in that picture!

I was so proud to show my friend her way around the North and my community. The weather was not the most cooperative so instead of enjoying end-of-summer weather she experienced beginning-of-fall weather. Thank goodness she did not witness snow in August! We enjoyed many walks, a lot of Kraft Dinner and even a quick trip to the Mistissini Beach. I think my friend will tell you that her least favorite part of being up North were the bugs...I guess I should have warned her that after 2 years they don't pay attention to you anymore! Always. Wear. Bug Spray. ALWAYS!


After a very sad goodbye at the Chibougamau Airport, I made my way home to finish preparing for the beginning of the school year. I am teaching Grade 1 again this year. I have 17 students and they are the most hard-working, calm, well-behaved group of 6 year olds that I have ever seen. I feel very lucky to be their teacher and we have very good days filled with fun and learning. 

At the end of August I was elected Union Delegate for the Elementary School and I am very excited about this role. This has been something I have been interested in since I was in University and I feel very grateful that my colleagues saw me fit for the role. I went to a training weekend in Val D'Or, about a 5.5hr drive South-West towards Ontario. I learned a lot of new things to bring back to my school and to help keep everyone informed. 

If you are interested in learning more about the Union please visit this site: http://aenq.org/

We did experience some very good weather this September and I was lucky enough to have a few pals to go kayaking with. I explored many new parts of Lake Mistissini and even some smaller rivers that run into the Lake. We kayaked in some of the stillest water I have ever seen on the Lake. It was so silent all I could hear was my paddle dipping through the water and all of the wildlife around me on the small islands and in the trees.



I was really able to enjoy some amazing views and great weather in the past few weeks. 

Today truly marks the beginning of Fall here in the North because we had some chilly weather, cloudy skies and the leaves are all different colors. We even had a 5 minute preview of winter with some flurries falling at the end of our hike this morning! Yikes! As much as I love winter, I am not quite ready for it yet... 

Thank you for catching up with me and I will leave you all with one of the best views of our boreal forest from the Mistissini Walking Trail. 

Happy Fall Everyone! 

~ Vicki





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Annie Whiskeychan Day

A Super Update on 2020

Pre-Winter Update