Welcome Back !

Can I just say how excited I am to be back up north! My summer break was jam packed with traveling and spending time with family and friends. I was lucky enough to spend 4 weeks of my summer traveling across Europe solo. I spent two weeks in France, a day in Switzerland and Belgium, another week in Germany, a few days in the Netherlands then a week in London!

A big purchase for me in early August was my first kayak! Since I live on the largest freshwater lake in Quebec, I figured I would take advantage of my time when the water wasn't frozen and try my hand at kayaking. Below is a picture of me on my first (very windy, very rocky) kayak outing on Lake Mistissini.

The moment I came back I was spoiled with this beautiful sunset. It was oddly satisfying to drive 10 hours north, knowing that I was going to a place I now call home. 


The first few days of school went by in a blur, setting up the classroom, finalizing orders from Scholastic (aka life) and catching up with friends about the summer. The classroom came together nicely after many long hours and long evenings (usually staying in school until 5 or 6pm). The most exciting day of all was the day our Scholastic orders came in! I received 11 boxes of supplies and resources that I had ordered in April. Scholastic orders are a teacher's dream! 


 My first weekend was the 6th annual Mistissini Pow wow. I explained the significance of the Pow wow in last year's post, but in short a Pow wow is a traditional social gathering to celebrate being together and the Cree Heritage. In this year's Pow wow there was a special ceremony remembering the hurt and loss caused by the Residential Schools. To learn more about Residential Schools please visit this website: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/a-history-of-residential-schools-in-canada-1.702280

I also got a taste of my first moose burger which is minced moose meat deep fried in a blanket of flour dough. It tasted like a giant meat doughnut, and thank goodness I kayaked for 2 hours afterward because I really needed to work off those calories!

One of the things I enjoy most about the Pow wow is the amazing traditional outfits. The outfits are always handmade and usually encompass hides and feathers of various animals that are significant in the Cree Culture. The pair in the picture below is a father and son duo from Waswanipi, another Cree community two hours away.

I feel like this first day of school picture (special request by my father) sets the scale for this brand new school year. I am so grateful and eager to begin my second year of teaching, this time as a Grade 2 teacher.

As usual, I couldn't help myself from taking beautiful pictures of the lake on my daily forest walks with Lily.

An afternoon snack I picked fresh on my walk! The trail was surrounded by berry bushes, Lily and I couldn't help ourselves and don't worry we didn't run into any bears!

Thanks once again for tuning in and I look forward to finishing my first full week teaching Grade 2!

~ Vicki

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Annie Whiskeychan Day

A Super Update on 2020

Pre-Winter Update