Journey North

Welcome to my blog!

I am very excited to be sharing my experiences as a first-year teacher, an American in Quebec and as a resident of a remote community. For those of you who do not know me, I am a recent graduate of Bishop's University in Lennoxville, Quebec, where I graduated with my Bachelor of Arts in Education and Bachelor of Education in Primary Studies. I am originally from a small suburb outside of Boston, Massachusetts and am now teaching Grade 1 in the Cree Nation of Mistissini in Quebec. Needless to say that I am very far from home, 776 miles or 1250 kilometers to be exact. Check out the route I took here

My journey North was done in two legs, one 5.5 hour drive to Sherbrooke, Quebec to stay overnight then a 10 hour drive to Mistissini. There were many stops along the way, stopping for food, gas and bathroom breaks as often as I could. The most north I had been before now was Quebec City, but I passed Quebec City only 3 hours into the second part of my drive. Below is a view that I stopped to appreciate. 


The closest town to Mistissini is Chibougamau, which is about an hour drive away with a population of about 7300. Some of what Chibougamau offers includes very small airport (serving Creebec), a Maxi (grocery store), a Reno (hardware store) and a few bars and restaurants.

I was able to settle comfortably into my one-bedroom apartment and explore some of what the town offers. Most important to note about my home is that it's only a 5 minute walk from the Elementary School, Grocery Store and lake. Mistissini is known for Lake Mistissini, the largest freshwater lake in the province of Quebec. I was able to appreciate this amazing lake-view on my way back from the Grocery Store.


I have only been in town for two days, yet I already feel like I'm at home. To learn more about the Cree Nation of Mistissini please visit this link.

Thank you for taking the time to read about my experience and tune in for weekly posts and updates!

~Vicki

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Annie Whiskeychan Day

A Super Update on 2020

Pre-Winter Update